Monday, November 29, 2010

Week #12 November 15 - 21

I wasn't sure what type of pie I was going to make going into this week. I was looking at the calendar, and I realized it was the middle of November. I always tell people that I'm trying to make more seasonal pies, which is why I'm not making lemon meringue in the cold weather. That being said, I decided to make a sweet-potato pie for this week. Here is the recipe.

And I know I said that I would remember to take pictures, but I forgot again. At least I have a picture of the filling.



As for the taste of the pie, it was alright. To be honest, I felt like I couldn't taste the sweet potatoes enough. I've said it before, I don't have a sweet tooth. Sweet potatoes have a lot of natural flavors that I felt like didn't come out quite as much as I would have enjoyed. They seemed to be too overpowered by the spices. Also, I felt like it tasted a lot like pumpkin pie.

After making the apple pear pie a few times this fall, it is going to be tough for a regular apple to compete in my mind. But, I had extra apples laying around, and I'm a firm believer that to be a good cook, athlete, student, etc, you need to get the basics down. Well, apple pie is about as basic as it gets. I know I don't have a picture, but the top crust baked very nicely, and had a cracked, weathered look to it. This is still one of my favorites. I used a recipe that my friend Victoria mailed to me. Thanks, Ror.

1 comment:

  1. you're very welcome. while i get the food network magazine delivered monthly, i rarely cook. glad you could make use of it, friend.

    ReplyDelete