Monday, June 20, 2011

Week #42 June 13 - 19

I had no idea what type of pie I was going to make this week. Even though it doesn't feel like it in Southeastern Wisconsin, we are in the summer months. A custard pie doesn't really fit, and I've been making a lot of fruit pies as of late. I searched some pie sites, and came up with a Chess Pie. This is a Southern pie, known for it's intense sweetness. There is actually vinegar in the pie to help cut some of the sweetness.

It seemed relatively easy, with not too many complex ingredients. I figured I'd give it a shot. Here is the recipe. A note: I used half white and half brown sugar. I also cooked it for well over an hour to get it to set.

I knew this wasn't going to be my favorite pie, but I figured I owed it a shot. It was sweet, but not as much as I expected. The consistency came out real nice, almost like a pecan or oatmeal pie. The cornstarch rose to the top, to give it a halfway decent crunch. And my co-workers all seemed to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment