Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Week #19 January 3 - 9

While home, my mom gave me an article from Better Homes and Gardens about pies. I decided to make one from a recipe that I found in there. It is a Lemon Velvet Cream Pie. Here is the recipe:


1 Pie crust
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
2 tbsp cold water
6 egg yolks
2 cups sweetened condensed milk (1½ 14oz cans)
¼ cup whipping cream
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup lemon juice
Whipped Cream

1) Preheat oven to 375. Roll out pastry to about 12 inches on floured work surface. Transfer to 9 inch pie pan. Trim excess to ½ inch, and fold excess under pastry. Crimp edge if desired. Prick bottom and sides with fork. Place in freezer for 10 minutes. Line pastry with aluminum foil or waxed paper, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Place on foil lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and weights. Bake for 15 minutes longer. You want the pie to get to be a slight golden brown. Remove and cool. If using a pre-made crust, bake according to package directions.

2) In a small bowl soften gelatin in water for 5 minutes. Heat in microwave for 14 seconds. Set aside.

3) In a large bowl combine egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk with electric beater for 2-3 minutes.

4) Beat in gelatin, whipping cream, and salt at a low speed.

5) Add lemon juice and beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Pour into cooled crust.

6) Bake for 22-25 minutes or until center of pie looks set when gently shaken. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Cover loosely and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

7) Topped with whipped cream.

This pie was great. It was essentially a key lime pie, except there was a lemon flavor instead of lime. I had a lot of positive reviews from co-workers when I brought it in. What was nice was that even though there was custard for the filling, it didn't taste too rich. It was light, without that fake "cool whip/frozen yogurt" affect.



Also this week I went and bought a pie tin at Bed Bath and Beyond. I have two glass pie pans, but wanted to try using a tin.

I had dinner at Comet this past Friday night, and had a good slice of peach blueberry pie. My friend that I was with said that she knew that was going to be the pie that I got. Even though it had a crumb topping, I think it worked better on this pie than the mixed berry that I had last time I was there.

Stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment