Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Week #26 February 21 - 27

Last week when I was home, I bought this pie book:



It's titled "Bubby's Homemade Pies". It is a great book. The author, Ron Silver opened a pie shop in NYC, which is now rather famous (of course). But he breaks things down nicely in the book, for a beginner like myself. Also, he describes using seasonal food, something that I'm an advocate of. There are a ton of recipes, for not only sweet pies, but also savory, and tarts, buckles, etc. I have been flipping through it since I bought it, thinking about the different pies I would try. For my pie this week I made an Apple Ginger Honey pie.



As for the recipe, well, I don't feel like typing it out. To be honest, it was good, but I think it needs some tweaking. For starters, I wasn't a huge fan of the crust that they use in here. I thought it was too thin, and hard to roll out. And the apples didn't cook down well enough. I think I should have pre-cooked them slightly in a pan. In my opinion, the pear ginger maple pie is a better pie.

Also this past week, one of my friends and co-workers was transferred to another location in our company. For her going away party, I made both a Key Lime and a Mint Oreo pie. They have become crowd favorites in my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment