Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Week #4 September 20 - 26

I lied. I still had one pre-make crust, and didn't want it to go to waste. So I used it on my pie this week. I am in a job where I am constantly rotated throughout the country performing different rotations. Although exciting, it has thrown my fiance Sandy and I a hurdle in terms of our relationship. I've been lucky enough to be located by her for the last eight months, and was told that I would be leaving at the end of this week. So last week, I wanted to make her a special pie, because she might not be able to sample them for a while. I chose to make a chocolate peanut butter pie for her, because it is her favorite dessert combo.

I am trying to use more "whole" ingredients in my cooking. Not only in pies, but also in life. Who needs high fructose corn syrup in your bread? Not me, that's who. So many of the recipes for chocolate peanut butter pie involve cool whip. I had to search a little before coming upon this winner.

This called for the crust being blind baked. This means that the crust is baked prior to having a filling added. It helps cook the crust, and make it not soggy. What was nice with this recipe was that it called or peanuts being pressed into the bottom, for some additional texture and flavor.



Overall the pie turned out to be a big surprise. I didn't expect to like it that much. I'm not a huge fan of the pb & c combo. But the pie wasn't as rich as I thought it would be, and was actually pretty light. It also had more of a peanut butter taste as opposed to chocolate.

1 comment: